This FAQ provides answers to questions that are often received by the program.
(It will be updated from time to time.)
- QWill I have to repay the research fellowship in the future?
- AThe research fellowship is offered as a benefit and need not be repaid.
- QWill I have to pay income tax or resident tax on the research fellowship?
- ASince the research fellowship is treated as miscellaneous income, you’ll have to pay income tax and resident tax on it. Additionally, you’ll need to file your taxes every year.
- Q I’ve been chosen as a JSPS Research Fellow for Young Scientists. Can I apply for this program as well?
- ANo, you cannot. You also can’t apply for this program if you’re receiving a Japanese government (MEXT) scholarship.
- QCan unused research funds be rolled over to the next year?
- ANo, they cannot. Please plan your use of research funds so as to use them all before the end of the academic year.
- QAre there limits on how research funds can be used?
- ANo, there are not. For example, it’s fine to use the full amount to cover travel expenses.